News

Paul Hughes Targets Netflix Return Bout

Paul Hughes has named Alfie Davis as his preferred return opponent while maintaining his pursuit of Usman Nurmagomedov.

Paul Hughes — Paul Hughes Targets Netflix Return Bout
Key Points

Paul Hughes has named Alfie Davis as his preferred return opponent while maintaining his pursuit of Usman Nurmagomedov.

Paul Hughes has identified Alfie Davis as the opponent he wants for his return, while keeping his focus on the PFL lightweight title and a possible third meeting with Usman Nurmagomedov. Hughes is recovering from the injury that forced him to withdraw from his last bout, but he has already outlined a return window and the kind of event he would like to join. The Irish fighter said he intends to compete in the first quarter of next year. He also proposed Davis for the first Netflix card after the MVP merger, whenever that merger takes place. The proposal is a stated preference rather than a confirmed booking, yet it gives a clear picture of how Hughes wants to re-enter the division.

Hughes’ update carries two connected competitive points: he wants a prominent return opponent, and he does not want that return to remove him from the championship conversation. Davis is the name Hughes put forward after saying he had been called out many times by the fighter. Hughes said Davis remains up there in the division, then said he would knock him out if their matchup happens. In the caption to his video on X, Hughes added that he would finish Davis’ career if Davis is deluded enough to want the fight. The language underlines how directly Hughes views the proposed contest, but it does not amount to an announcement that the bout has been made. His wider objective remains another route toward Nurmagomedov and the PFL lightweight belt.

Paul Hughes

Hughes links return plan to title pursuit

A Davis fight is not being presented by Hughes as a change of direction from his title ambitions. He still has his sights firmly set on the PFL lightweight title and has said he believes a trilogy with Nurmagomedov is possible. Hughes has described the series as unfinished business following two controversial decision losses to the current champion. The manner of those defeats has kept Hughes in the title picture, according to the supplied account, even though the matchups were setbacks for him. That distinction matters to the return plan: the Davis callout is a preferred next step, while Nurmagomedov remains the central championship target. The proposed Netflix setting is also conditional. Hughes said he wants Davis on the first Netflix card after MVP merges, whenever that occurs. He did not say that a Netflix card has been confirmed, that Davis has accepted, or that MVP has arranged the contest. What is confirmed in Hughes’ own update is his target period for competing again, his preferred opponent and his continuing interest in a third Nurmagomedov bout. Those are separate elements of one plan rather than proof of a finalized schedule.

The current position of Nurmagomedov adds uncertainty to that plan. Nurmagomedov stopped Archie Colgan last Friday to successfully defend the PFL lightweight belt in the final fight on his current contract. He is now a free agent, and the UFC has shown interest in signing him. Whatever the undefeated champion decides to do could affect the route available to Hughes in the coming months. Hughes has not said that a third fight is booked or guaranteed; he has said that he believes it remains possible. That chronology is useful for reading Hughes’ comments without overstating them. First, Hughes withdrew from his last bout because of injury and is still recovering. Next, he identified the first quarter of next year as his intended return period. At the same time, Nurmagomedov defended the belt against Colgan in the final fight of his current contract and entered free agency. Hughes’ preferred Davis matchup therefore sits beside, rather than resolves, the question of where Nurmagomedov’s next decision leaves the lightweight title picture.

Hughes calls for tougher drug testing

Hughes used the same video update to address drug testing in his division. He said all the drug testing he has received has taken place only a day before fights, and he said that was not good enough because people are cheating it. Hughes also called out contenders who have failed drug tests and received only short suspensions. In his view, fighters in that position should receive lifetime bans. He said he wants MVP to introduce stricter drug-testing protocols following the merger. That request is distinct from the Davis callout and from his attempt to remain in the title picture. It is nevertheless part of the same return update, showing that Hughes used the moment to discuss both the opponent he wants and the standards he believes should apply around the division. The material supports Hughes’ criticism of the testing he says he has received and his requested change; it does not establish that new protocols have been adopted.

  • Hughes said he intends to return in the first quarter of next year while recovering from the injury that forced him out of his last bout.
  • He named Alfie Davis as his ideal opponent for a proposed first Netflix card following the MVP merger, whenever that merger happens.
Paul Hughes
Confirmed development Detail from Hughes’ current situation
Return target Hughes said he intends to come back in the first quarter of next year after the injury withdrawal from his last bout.
Title objective Hughes remains focused on the PFL lightweight title and has said he believes a Nurmagomedov trilogy is still possible.

For now, Hughes has provided a detailed outline rather than a confirmed fight announcement. He intends to return in the first quarter of next year after the injury withdrawal from his last bout. Davis is the opponent he wants for a proposed first Netflix card following the MVP merger, while Nurmagomedov remains the fighter tied to Hughes’ title ambitions and possible trilogy. Nurmagomedov’s free-agency decision is an important unresolved factor after his successful defense against Colgan in the final fight of his current contract. Hughes has also made clear that he wants stricter drug testing and tougher consequences for fighters who fail tests. The supported picture is therefore a return plan with a named opponent, a stated timeframe, a continuing championship objective and a separate push for stronger testing standards.

Sources: Bloody Elbow

Try our games

Panda figth

Fighting

Ultimate boxing

Hoops

Fight Talk

Share your take on this story

Start the Conversation

Be the first to share your take. Discuss the fight, reactions, and predictions with other fans.

Link copied!
EN — English