News

Carlos Ulberg targets early 2027 return

Carlos Ulberg says he is targeting an early 2027 title defense as he continues recovering from the ACL tear suffered in April.

Carlos Ulberg — Carlos Ulberg targets early 2027 return
Key Points

Carlos Ulberg says he is targeting an early 2027 title defense as he continues recovering from the ACL tear suffered in April.

Carlos Ulberg is targeting an early 2027 return as he continues his recovery from the ACL tear that delayed his first light heavyweight title defense. The champion said at UFC Abu Dhabi that he does not expect to fight again in 2026, choosing not to force a comeback before he feels ready. Ulberg suffered the injury when he won the belt in April, turning what should have been the start of his title reign into an extended rehabilitation period.

The update gives the light heavyweight division a clearer timetable, even if it does not settle the question of who will be waiting for Ulberg when he returns. He had previously spoken optimistically about the steps taken after surgery, but his latest comments underline that recovery rather than speed is guiding the decision. Ulberg said he is trying to balance his desire to compete again soon with the need to return safely. That approach means the champion’s next appearance is now being planned around the opening part of 2027 rather than one of the remaining events this year. His status also remains central to a division in which he said no one is currently very dominant.

Carlos Ulberg

Ulberg sets a cautious recovery timeline

Ulberg’s injury came at the most significant moment of his career so far: his April title-winning performance. The ACL tear created an immediate delay at the top of the 205-pound division and left the new champion facing a recovery that could keep him out for up to a year. At UFC Abu Dhabi, Ulberg made clear that a return before the end of 2026 is not his expectation. Instead, he identified early 2027 as the period he is looking toward for a title defense. The significance of that timing is straightforward. Ulberg is not presenting a specific fight date or opponent, but he is providing a public indication that his title defense is being approached with caution. His decision is framed around avoiding an early return rather than making a rushed booking. For a champion coming back from ACL surgery, that distinction explains why the target remains broad: early 2027 offers an aim without committing to a date before his recovery allows it.

Ulberg was in attendance to watch Magomed Ankalaev’s return this past Saturday, when the former champion finished Bogdan Guskov in the main event. Ankalaev had been discussed as a possible first challenger for Ulberg, and some had argued that he deserved a title opportunity earlier in the year after being left out of the vacant title matchup. Ulberg did not offer a detailed technical assessment of what he watched. Instead, he kept his response measured while confirming that Ankalaev remains part of the contender picture. “I saw what I needed to see, and I’ll make sure I do everything I can to get back in there,” Ulberg said. He also described the division as “a little shaky at the moment” and said that no one is very dominant. Those remarks do not name a next opponent, but they show Ulberg is monitoring the field during his absence rather than disconnecting from the title picture.

Ankalaev remains in Ulberg’s contender view

When asked directly about Ankalaev, Ulberg did not close the door on a future matchup. “I’ve always seen Ankalaev as a top contender,” he said. “So he’s definitely one of the guys that will be up next as well.” The wording leaves room for other contenders and does not establish an official matchup, yet it is a meaningful confirmation that Ankalaev is still on Ulberg’s radar. The division may continue moving while Ulberg recovers. The source notes that five numbered UFC events remain in 2026 without title fights announced and raises the possibility that an interim light heavyweight title could be created before Ulberg is ready. That remains a possibility rather than a confirmed plan. For now, the confirmed development is Ulberg’s own schedule: he is aiming for early 2027, and he intends to return only when he can do so safely.

  • Ulberg says he does not think he will fight again in 2026 because he does not want to come back too soon.
  • Ulberg identifies early 2027 as the target period for his return and says Ankalaev is one of the contenders who could be next.
Carlos Ulberg
Confirmed development Supported detail
Ulberg’s recovery target He said at UFC Abu Dhabi that he is looking to return early in 2027.
Ankalaev’s standing Ulberg called Ankalaev a top contender and said he is definitely one of the fighters who will be up next as well.

Carlos Ulberg’s latest update does not announce a date, opponent or booking, but it establishes the priority behind his title reign: a safe return from the ACL injury. Early 2027 is now the champion’s stated target, while Ankalaev remains among the names Ulberg sees near the front of the line. Until Ulberg is ready, the light heavyweight title picture will continue to develop without a confirmed resolution.

Sources: Bloody Elbow

Try our games

Panda figth

Fighting

Ultimate boxing

Hoops

Fight Talk

Share your take on this story

Start the Conversation

Be the first to share your take. Discuss the fight, reactions, and predictions with other fans.

Link copied!
EN — English