Oban Elliott arrives in Belgrade with a changed outlook after a difficult stretch that tested both his confidence and his ability to reset. The Welsh fighter will face Michael Oliveira on August 1 at UFC Fight Night: Medic vs Rodriguez, but the immediate story around Elliott is less about making a prediction and more about the perspective he says he has gained since his recent losses. He described himself as better prepared, less burdened by pressure and eager to show the work he believes has taken him forward.
Elliott entered 2025 carrying momentum from a knockout win at Madison Square Garden that closed his 2024 campaign. His position changed quickly, however, and he now comes to Serbia on a two-fight skid. One of those setbacks came after a charged build-up with Jonathan Micallef, whom Elliott wanted to face after Micallef questioned his integrity when Elliott was declared unable to compete because of pneumonia in September 2025. Elliott has not presented the loss as an excuse-free easy answer; instead, he has focused on what the experience revealed about him under pressure.

A setback that changed Elliott’s view
In Sydney earlier this year, Elliott said he started strongly against Micallef, taking the first round and continuing to find success on the feet in the second. The fight changed when a left hand landed on Elliott’s eye at close range and blurred his vision. Elliott said he attempted to keep initiating exchanges, while Micallef clinched, took the action to the floor and eventually secured a choke from the back. Elliott recalled waking up in disbelief after being unable to see clearly and breathe during the sequence. That account supplies important context for Elliott’s current approach. He said the fight confirmed something fundamental to him: when confronted with a severe problem in competition, he chose to keep fighting. Elliott summed up that realization as “Fight or Flight,” saying that he fights rather than flies. It does not erase the result or the two-fight skid, but it explains why he has repeatedly framed the episode as a point from which he can rebuild rather than a reason to retreat.
The emotional reset did not happen only in the gym. Elliott was initially hesitant when invited to attend the UFC event in London in March as a guest fighter. After consecutive losses, he was unsure how supporters would react when he appeared. He ultimately went, and said the crowd’s reception as he walked through the fighter entrance gave him a major boost. Elliott said he had worried about showing his face, only to hear fans cheering him, a response that brought him close to tears and changed his mindset. His stated goal became to “put things right,” while recognizing that the outcome of a fight cannot be fully controlled.
What Elliott carries into August 1
Elliott’s next confirmed assignment is Oliveira, who brings a 9-0 record with eight stoppages into their August 1 meeting. Elliott has expressed unwavering belief in his preparation, but he also acknowledged the uncertainty inherent in mixed martial arts. That distinction is central to his message in fight week: he is concentrating on performance rather than treating a raised hand as something guaranteed. The first seven minutes against Micallef remain especially significant to Elliott. He said that, before UFC 325, he had not been able to transfer everything he did in training into a fight at that level. Despite how that contest ended, he now views the early portion as evidence that he can perform with greater freedom. Elliott also said he has more structure than ever in his life and preparation, and that his recent obstacles helped remove the pressure he had placed on himself. For readers, the key development is not a claim that Elliott has solved every variable that can arise once the Octagon door closes. It is that he has publicly identified a different standard for himself: enjoy the fight, perform and trust the preparation already completed. In Belgrade, Elliott has the chance to test that revised outlook in a live UFC setting.
- Elliott said the loss to Micallef showed him that he continues to fight when circumstances become difficult.
- Elliott said the welcome from fans at the March UFC event in London helped shift his mindset after consecutive losses.
- Elliott said the early stages of the Micallef fight showed he could bring more of his training-room ability into competition.

| Confirmed point | Why it matters to Elliott’s story |
|---|---|
| September 2025 | Elliott was declared unable to compete because of pneumonia, an event that preceded his dispute with Micallef. |
| Earlier in 2026 in Sydney | Elliott said he won the first round against Micallef before a strike to the eye and a subsequent choke changed the fight. |
| August 1, 2026 | Elliott is scheduled to face Michael Oliveira at UFC Fight Night: Medic vs Rodriguez in Belgrade, Serbia. |
Oban Elliott’s Belgrade appearance follows a clearly defined period of adversity, reflection and renewed confidence. He has spoken openly about the Sydney fight, the uncertainty he felt before returning to a UFC event in London and the structure he says now supports his preparation. Against Oliveira, the confirmed next step is an opportunity for Elliott to bring that changed mindset into competition, without overlooking his own point that MMA can still turn on moments outside a fighter’s control.
Sources: UFC.com
Fight Talk
Share your take on this story
Start the Conversation
Be the first to share your take. Discuss the fight, reactions, and predictions with other fans.