Mike Perry says conversations have taken place between the UFC and his team after his win over Nate Diaz, but he is not presenting a return to the promotion as an automatic next move. Instead, Perry has a confirmed MMA date in front of him: a 170-pound meeting with Dillon Danis at Duel Arena 1 in Orlando on Aug. 29. Speaking on The Ariel Helwani Show, Perry explained that money remains central to how he evaluates every opportunity, including a possible UFC comeback.
Perry said he would consider accepting less money to return to the UFC, although he stressed that the size of any reduction would matter. His comments did not include a deal, an offer or a timetable for a return. They did establish his position: the UFC is one possible destination, but not the only prize he is pursuing. Perry’s immediate choice also reflects that approach. He said the Danis fight pays less than his bout with Diaz, yet he accepted it because of the opponent’s name value and the chance to compete in his home city of Orlando. That makes the upcoming contest more than a simple stop between larger opportunities. Perry views it as a chance to put on a show locally while positioning himself for a bigger financial call afterward.

Perry’s UFC comments set clear terms
Perry described himself as a prize fighter and said fighting for the UFC is not the only prize. In his telling, life-changing money and opportunity are the real measure. That framing is important because it separates interest in returning from any suggestion that Perry is willing to take just any arrangement to get back into the Octagon. He said he was sure he could take a bit of a pay cut for a UFC return, but added that he did not know how large a cut he would accept.
The available information places those remarks after Perry’s stoppage win over Diaz at MVP MMA 1 and before his scheduled fight against Danis. Perry also said a Diaz rematch had been discussed, but repeatedly redirected his attention to Aug. 29. There is no confirmed UFC booking in his comments, and there is no confirmed Diaz rematch either. The confirmed next event is Danis in Orlando. Perry said he has heard the UFC has had conversations with his team and people, which shows communication rather than a completed agreement. For readers following a possible return, that distinction matters: Perry has made his financial stance public, but his competitive schedule remains pointed at Duel Arena 1.
Why Perry accepted the Danis fight
Perry said the Danis matchup came together shortly before its announcement. He first heard Tennessee as a possible location before learning Orlando was being discussed, and he said the hometown setting helped persuade him. Perry said people in Orlando had been asking to see him fight there again for years. He also said First Round Management knew the promoter working with Duel Arena and that Danis remains a recognizable name who draws attention. Perry did not describe the contest as a personal feud. He said both men are fighters and prize fighters competing for their families, while making clear that he intends to bring an aggressive performance. The bout is set in a ring, a setting Perry said does not alter his approach. He expects to work from a game plan similar to the one he used against Diaz: remain on his feet, strike, and try to prevent Danis from taking the fight to the ground. That approach gives Perry’s pay-cut comments additional context. He said the Danis purse is below what he made for Diaz, but he sees the fight as an opportunity with value beyond the immediate number. Perry said that if he beats Danis, he expects another opportunity and wants it to carry much bigger money. It is a direct explanation of why he did not simply wait for a bare-knuckle or UFC offer.
- Perry says communication has occurred between the UFC and his team, but he did not announce a contract, offer or return date.
- Perry is scheduled to fight Dillon Danis at 170 pounds in Orlando on Aug. 29, and says that bout pays less than his Nate Diaz fight.

| Confirmed point | What Perry said |
|---|---|
| UFC discussions | He has heard the UFC had conversations with his team and people, while saying the financial terms would determine whether a return made sense. |
| Next MMA bout | He is set to face Dillon Danis at Duel Arena 1 in Orlando on Aug. 29 at 170 pounds. |
Mike Perry has left the door open to the UFC, but his message is measured rather than declarative. He says a return could involve a pay cut, provided the opportunity still meets his standard for value. Until any agreement is confirmed, Perry’s focus is on Danis, an Orlando event he believes can deliver hometown exposure, a recognizable opponent and a route toward the larger payday he says he wants next.
Sources: MiddleEasy; Bloody Elbow
Fight Talk
Share your take on this story
Start the Conversation
Be the first to share your take. Discuss the fight, reactions, and predictions with other fans.