Brendan Schaub has delivered a sharply divided assessment of Ian Machado Garry before UFC 330. Speaking on his YouTube channel, Schaub said he remains a fan of what Garry does when the fight begins, calling the welterweight a highly talented and difficult stylistic assignment. But Brendan Schaub was equally clear that he does not enjoy Garry’s media approach during the promotion of the title fight.
The comments arrive as Garry prepares for his first UFC title opportunity, a welterweight championship challenge against Islam Makhachev in the UFC 330 main event on Aug. 15. Brendan Schaub’s criticism was not framed as a dismissal of Garry as a competitor. Instead, Schaub repeatedly separated Garry’s work in the Octagon from the interviews and promotional material surrounding the event. That distinction is the central point of Schaub’s reaction: he believes Garry’s fighting is a major asset, while his public messaging is working against him.

Brendan Schaub separates fighter from promoter
Brendan Schaub said Garry is “one of the most talented dudes in the UFC” when he fights. Schaub described Garry as a “nightmare matchup for guys” and said the challenger’s style could make him a difficult opponent even for Makhachev. He also stressed that the championship bout would not be easy. That praise makes the rest of Brendan Schaub’s assessment more specific than a broad attack. Schaub’s issue was with how Garry has handled interviews in the build to UFC 330, not with the threat he sees in Garry’s fighting. Schaub said Garry’s public relations were poor and suggested that the challenger was turning people off during promotion. The immediate trigger for the reaction was a viral clip in which Garry said the world would be better if women ruled it. Brendan Schaub said that topic might be suitable for a private conversation, but he did not believe it should be used to promote a cage fight against the fighter he called the No. 1 pound-for-pound competitor in the world.
Brendan Schaub went further by saying Garry should focus his public comments on fighting. He used the phrase “shut up and fight,” while acknowledging that he had not previously agreed with telling athletes to limit their expression in that way. In Schaub’s telling, Garry’s interviews changed his view because he believes the promotional approach is undermining interest rather than building it. The criticism therefore has two connected parts. First, Brendan Schaub sees real competitive value in Garry’s style and expects a demanding matchup. Second, he believes Garry’s pre-fight media work is distracting from those qualities. For readers following the UFC 330 build, that explains why Schaub can offer strong praise for Garry’s chances as a fighter while still issuing such blunt criticism of his public-facing role.
UFC 330 provides the backdrop
Garry is scheduled to challenge Makhachev for the UFC welterweight title on Aug. 15 at Xfinity Mobile Arena in Philadelphia. The bout is Garry’s first chance to win a UFC title, placing added attention on every interview in the run-up to the main event. BJPenn reported that Garry last fought in November 2025, when he earned a unanimous decision over former UFC welterweight titleholder Belal Muhammad. That recent result is part of the competitive backdrop to Brendan Schaub’s view that Garry is doing well in the UFC, even as Schaub objects to his promotional efforts. Brendan Schaub’s remarks do not predict a winner. They instead underline the contrast he sees between Garry’s ability under fight conditions and the message being delivered before the championship contest.
- Brendan Schaub praised Garry’s talent, describing him as a difficult stylistic matchup and saying the fight with Makhachev will not be easy.
- Brendan Schaub criticized Garry’s interviews and said the challenger should center his promotion on fighting rather than comments he believes alienate fans.

| Confirmed UFC 330 detail | What it establishes |
|---|---|
| Aug. 15 | The scheduled date for Garry’s welterweight title challenge against Makhachev. |
| Xfinity Mobile Arena, Philadelphia | The confirmed location for the UFC 330 main event. |
Brendan Schaub’s message before UFC 330 is blunt but consistent: he respects Garry’s ability and sees a dangerous fighter, yet believes Garry’s media appearances are harming the presentation of that ability. With Garry’s first UFC title shot approaching, Schaub has made the promotion itself part of the conversation around the main event.
Sources: MMA Fighting; BJPenn
Fight Talk
Share your take on this story
Start the Conversation
Be the first to share your take. Discuss the fight, reactions, and predictions with other fans.